- RISMedia - http://rismedia.com -
Home Improvement Q&A: What guidelines should I follow to find a contractor?
Posted By beth On October 4, 2007 @ 12:44 PM In Consumer News and Advice,Home Owner News,Homeowner's Toolkit,Your Guide to Home Improvement | Comments Disabled
By Desiree French
RISMEDIA, Oct. 5, 2007-Always exercise caution and be comfortable and confident about your final decision. This means selecting a competent and reliable contractor with a track record who can complete the job without hassles or negative consequences. What you can do:
• Get word-of-mouth referrals. Ask friends, family, co-workers and neighbors for the names of established, local contractors in your area; avoid the telephone book.
• Call trade groups. When all else fails, contact local trade organizations, such as the local builder association or the Remodelers Council, an arm of the National Association of Home Builders, for the names of reputable members in your area.
• Associate with licensed contractors. Many states require contractors to be licensed and bonded. Contact your state or local licensing board to ensure the contractor meets all requirements and has a decent record. The Better Business Bureau and the local Consumer Affairs Office can also tell you if any complaints have been filed against the contractor and how they were resolved.
• Conduct interviews. Talk with each contractor, request free estimates, and ask for recent references. When dealing with several different contractors, make sure they’re bidding on similar project specifications and quality of work. Remember, the lowest bid isn’t always the best.
• Check insurance information. Most states require a contractor to have workers’ compensation, property damage, and personal liability insurance. Ask for proof of this insurance and get the name of the insurance company to verify the information and to ensure that all minimum insurance requirements are met. You could be held liable for any work-related injury if the contractor is not covered.
Article printed from RISMedia: http://rismedia.com
URL to article: http://rismedia.com/2007-10-04/home-improvement-qa-what-guidelines-should-i-follow-to-find-a-contractor/
Copyright © 2012 RISMedia. All rights reserved.