- RISMedia - http://rismedia.com -
Home Improvement Q& A: Nine Questions to Ask a Contractor
Posted By beth On October 11, 2007 @ 12:38 PM In Consumer News and Advice,Home Owner News,Homeowner's Toolkit,Your Guide to Home Improvement | Comments Disabled
By Desiree French
RISMEDIA, Oct. 12, 2007-Q: Are there specific questions I should ask a contractor?
A: According to the National Association of the Remodeling Industry, sometimes it’s not the responses you get that are important, but what you don’t get. So you should trust your instincts and pay attention to the information that is obviously missing. Nevertheless, here are some questions NARI suggest you ask before signing that remodeling contract:
1. How long have you been in business?
2. What is your approach to a project such as this?
3. Who will be working on the project? Are they employees or subcontractors?
4. Who will be assigned as project supervisor for the job?
5. Does your company carry workers’ compensation and liability insurance?
6. How many projects like mine have you completed in the past year?
7. May I have a list of references from those projects?
8. Are you a member of a national trade association?
9. Have you or your employees been certified in remodeling or had any special training or education?
It also wouldn’t hurt to inquire about how trash removal and clean up will be handled and the times workers will begin and end work – this is not only for your convenience but also for your neighbors, who have to endure the noise and fewer parking spaces that may result from your project.
Article printed from RISMedia: http://rismedia.com
URL to article: http://rismedia.com/2007-10-11/home-improvement-q-a-nine-questions-to-ask-a-contractor/
Copyright © 2012 RISMedia. All rights reserved.