Commentary by Walt Baczkowski
RISMEDIA, March 21, 2008-In everything we read today, you can usually find a reference or article regarding the “new consumer,” their changing habits and how to work with this new generation of buyers. There’s an abundance of articles and columns with advice, predictions and offers of assistance-usually for a fee-to prepare Realtors® to meet these needs with the services you provide.
Even with all of this attention, the real estate profession has been slow to take advantage of new opportunities to reach consumers through the very medium they utilize to learn, communicate and socially interact-technology.
Here are several facts for consideration:
- As of September 2007, there were over 106 million registered accounts with MySpace.com. Approximately 230,000 people sign up every day.
- The average myspace.com page is visited 30 times per day.
- There are more than 2.7 billion searches performed on Google each month.
- The number of text messages sent and received every day exceeds the population of the planet.
- Approximately 47 million laptops were shipped worldwide last year.
- One in eight couples married in the U.S. last year met online.
Do you have a MySpace account? Have you participated in a blog or have one of your own? Are you familiar with text messaging? It’s likely that your next customer utilizes these services and will expect to be able to communicate with you through one or the other. If they cannot communicate with you through a service they are accustomed to, they will find someone else.
Walt Baczkowski is president of the Metropolitan Consolidated Association of REALTORS®. To contact him, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Copyright© 2013 RISMedia, The Leader in Real Estate Information Systems and Real Estate News. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be republished without permission from RISMedia.
Content on this website is copyrighted and may not be redistributed without express written permission from RISMedia. Access to RISMedia archives and thousands of articles like this, as well as consumer real estate videos, are available through RISMedia's REsource Licensed Content Solutions. Offering the industry’s most comprehensive and affordable content packages. Click here to learn more! http://resource.rismedia.com