Welcome!




Expand Your Education with These Courses from
Bundle 1: CIPS Core Courses (Non-US Version).
Customer Relationship Building: Skills for Sales Success: Part Seven.
Bundle 1: CIPS Core Course (US Version).
Bundle 2: CIPS Elective Courses (Non-US Version).
At Home with Diversity.

Meeting Customer Needs in Today’s Market

Have a comment on this article? Share on Facebook!

By Paige Tepping

RISMEDIA, May 24, 2008-Whether it’s the media or the weakening economy, agents are perfecting new ways to stay profitable in today’s market-first and foremost by meeting customers’ needs. To accomplish this, John Davis, regional director of Keller Williams Realty, says in his market, it’s a combination of a few different tactics-from dealing with the negative media to broadening their diverse market.

davis_john.jpgJohn Davis
Regional Director
Keller Williams Realty
Southlake, Texas

Region served: North Texas/New Mexico Region and the Greater Heartland Region
Years in real estate: 15
Number of offices: 55
Number of agents: 6,084
Average sales price: $218,982
Average time on market: 70 days
Best tip for dealing with difficult customers: The best way to work with any customer is by listening. Usually, I find that by listening to someone, they will tell you how to solve the problem they are faced with.
Tech tool you can’t live without: With the increased use of e-mail, we are getting out of touch and losing the personal connection that comes through conversation, so I would say the telephone.
Key to staying profitable: Focus on your people. If you focus on your people-and they are doing well-you won’t have to worry about profit.

How do you deal with the negative effects of the media?

The media focuses on the industry at a national level, but as a Realtor I know that real estate is a local business. So, I focus on the local statistics, which shows that there are a lot of good things happening.

What are your best strategies for working with diversity markets?

Working with the diverse markets that make up the real estate industry is an exciting prospect and I believe education is the best approach. It is important that our agents know and understand how to approach and work with the different niches in the industry-and knowing what their wants and needs are is key.

How do you communicate with agents?

The first thing I do is listen-it is important that you listen twice as much as you talk. I feel that I learn something new every time I speak with an agent just by listening. In addition, when communicating, I am as honest and straightforward as possible.

How do you motivate agents?

The only way to motivate agents is by listening to them. If you listen to what their goals are and find out what makes them tick, then you can talk with them about the steps they need to take to reach their goals. Motivating agents is an individual approach and you need to focus on helping people get what they want.

What’s your best idea for time management?

When you come into the office every day, make sure you do your toughest thing first and make sure to take care of your 20% each day. If you take care of your 20%, the remaining 80% will fall into place.

Want instant access to great articles like this for your blog or newsletter? Check out our 30-day FREE trial of REsource Licensed Real Estate Content Solutions. Need easy stay-in-touch e-Marketing solutions too? Try Pop-a-Note for 99 cents!
Join RISMedia on Twitter and Facebook to connect with us and share your thoughts on this and other topics.




Copyright© 2014 RISMedia, The Leader in Real Estate Information Systems and Real Estate News. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be republished without permission from RISMedia.

Content on this website is copyrighted and may not be redistributed without express written permission from RISMedia. Access to RISMedia archives and thousands of articles like this, as well as consumer real estate videos, are available through RISMedia's REsource Licensed Content Solutions. Offering the industry’s most comprehensive and affordable content packages. Click here to learn more! http://resource.rismedia.com