RISMEDIA, June 23, 2008-Self-limiting beliefs often originate from events and lessons from our youth. This week Dr. Maya explains through one of her clients how to identify and put to rest old beliefs that can prevent success today.
Q. Dr. Maya: I’m concerned about my business. I still have debt and even though my business is growing, I have a nagging thought that “I won’t ever have an abundance of money.” What do you suggest?
A: Congratulations! You’ve done the hard part already, which is to identify your self-limiting belief.
Obviously, the idea, “I won’t ever have an abundance of money,” is only a belief, not a fact. I would suggest the following steps:
1. Become a loving detective and ask your old belief this question, “What are you trying to do for me, by having me hold on to the idea that I won’t ever have an abundance of money?”
In other words, ask for its POSITIVE INTENTION.
In a recent session with a client, she reported that the positive intention was that the old belief made her feel safe.
2. Ask yourself about the origins of this belief.
In other words, approximately what age were you when you begin to think that you would never have an abundance of money?
In the case of my client, she traced this belief back to her childhood where she receives certain messages from her family, such as:
- “it’s not okay to ask for more money
- “it’s selfish to want more
- “having too much money makes you unhappy
- “money is not important”
3. What was the payoff for you believing this self-limiting belief when you were younger?
The payoff for my client was that she had a feeling of belonging to us with her family as she took in their self-limiting beliefs.
4. What problems will you experience if you hold on to that self-limiting belief?
The big problems my client identified were:
- “I’ll have to get a job
- “Someone else will always be telling me what to do
- “I will keep avoiding what I should be doing, like lead generation
5. Get clear on your new objective.
What do you really want to do? My client wanted to live a life of abundance and one of her primary motivating factors was that she would be able to visit her children.
What is your primary MOTIVATION for having a life of abundance? What is your biggest incentive?
6. Release the self-limiting belief and install empowered beliefs such as:
- I deserve abundance
- I always have an abundance of my ideal clients
- I commit to taking inspired action
7. Write down five action steps a you’ve been procrastinating and commit to doing them now.
To continue the process of releasing your self-limiting beliefs, I suggest taking a look at where you are now, and where you want to be. If you feel any fear, worry or concern, then you probably have beliefs that need to be cleared.
On the other hand, if you have a happy, optimistic feeling that what you want is on the way, then you’re probably clear in that area of your life.
Remember, “Your thoughts create your reality.”
“Change your thinking, change your life”
About the author: For more information on powerful marketing tips and tools, please visit Dr. Maya’s website: http://www.90daystomoreclients.com while you are there, get your Free Audio mentoring session and Free Report, “7 simple strategies to more clients in 90 days” or call Dr. Maya at 707 799-5412.
E-mail your questions about the Law of Attraction, reprogramming of self-limiting beliefs, confidence-building and marketing communication to, Dr. Maya at email@example.com and we may include them in this weekly column.
Copyright© 2013 RISMedia, The Leader in Real Estate Information Systems and Real Estate News. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be republished without permission from RISMedia.
Content on this website is copyrighted and may not be redistributed without express written permission from RISMedia. Access to RISMedia archives and thousands of articles like this, as well as consumer real estate videos, are available through RISMedia's REsource Licensed Content Solutions. Offering the industry’s most comprehensive and affordable content packages. Click here to learn more! http://resource.rismedia.com