RISMEDIA, July 4, 2008-While the Fourth of July is a time for fireworks and celebration, for many pets and their owners it can be a nightmare. The loud noises, flashing lights, and smell of sulfur can cause excessive fear in pets. Nervous behaviors such as trembling, whimpering, and panting may be distressful to the pet, but the animal’s natural response to flee from what he interprets as a threatening situation may result in serious injury. Some dogs are so frightened by fireworks that they may run through glass windows, or escape from the yard and run the risk of being hit by a car.
Here are a few tips from HomeoPet to keep your pet calm and safe this Fourth of July:
1. Leave your pets at home and indoors. Most pets are afraid of fireworks and may try to run away.
2. Close all doors and windows and put on background music to muffle the sound.
3. Close curtains and blinds to block the flashing lights.
4. Be sure that your pets are wearing identification tags or have microchips in case they do run away or get lost.
5. Try to distract your pet with chew toys and games, or play with another pet that does not share his fear.
6. If you have time, desensitization techniques with appropriate sound CDs, such as thunder, fireworks, trains, sirens, etc. may help pets get used to the sounds at a lower volume, then as they become more comfortable, gradually increase the volume.
7. If your pet has noise phobias, speak to your veterinarian about a natural homeopathic, non-sedating remedy such as HomeoPet Storm Stress to keep your pet calm during storm and fireworks seasons.
For more information, please visit www.homeopet.com.
Copyright© 2013 RISMedia, The Leader in Real Estate Information Systems and Real Estate News. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be republished without permission from RISMedia.
Content on this website is copyrighted and may not be redistributed without express written permission from RISMedia. Access to RISMedia archives and thousands of articles like this, as well as consumer real estate videos, are available through RISMedia's REsource Licensed Content Solutions. Offering the industry’s most comprehensive and affordable content packages. Click here to learn more! http://resource.rismedia.com