RISMEDIA, Sept. 18, 2008-Traveling alone doesn’t have to be a drag. Look into all the services that your airline, rental car company or travel agent offers. You might be surprised at how these little suggestions can enhance your trip.
You deserve it
• Think about how much more relaxed you might be in first class, or how much more comfortable it will be to drive long-distance in a luxury car. Sometimes the extra level of service and the extra foot room is worth the extra cash.
• Look into the services that come along with your upgrade. First class ticket lines might be shorter, or perhaps your car rental company has a service like Avis’s Preferred ServiceTM where you can avoid the counter and go straight to your car.
• Many companies offer professional chauffeur service. For example, with Avis’s Chauffer Drive®, you can request a driver for just a few hours or for full days. When traveling alone, sometimes it’s nice to know there’s a car waiting for you at the airport.
Safety without numbers
•Be sure to give the details of your travel plans and emergency contact information to a friend or relative. Check in with them often so they know you’re fine and having a great time.
• Arrive in new cities during the day-bus and train stations can be deserted at night and small towns tend to shut down early.
• Keep copies of your passport and credit cards in a separate and secure location.
Gizmos and gadgets
• Forget about maps and asking for directions, if you take a GPS along you’ll get more than just audible directions. Most GPS systems have local attractions and restaurants, traffic and weather reports and even airport information.
• Your rental car company can probably provide you with other devices and electronic tools to enhance your solo trip. An xm® radio, mp3-compatible cars and a portable DVD player will definitely keep you entertained.
• Getting around quickly and efficiently can be important when traveling alone. Look into local electronic toll payment. If you’re traveling far from home and you’re not interested in signing up for a personal account, many car rental companies have options like Avis e-TollTM.
Do whatever you want
• The best part about traveling alone is that there’s no one to argue with you about the itinerary. Go see whatever you want-it’s your trip!
• Do some research before you go, so you know all your options. Then, follow your whims when you get there.
• Or preplan your whole trip, then save it to a Secure Digital (SD) memory card to plug right into a GPS.
What comes with that?
• Read up on all the little extras that are offered to you. Keep track of those frequent flier miles and the points you earn on your credit card.
• When you start looking into all the available promotions, you might even find a few surprises.
Live like a local
• Anyone can find a guidebook, but how do you find the real local flavor? Make a stop at the local coffee shop. The regular customers will probably be very helpful with tips and ideas for how to keep busy during your stay. • A quick online search may turn up some very useful local blogs. Look for online photo or video sharing websites, too-it helps you visually locate the destinations and find the best photo spots.
• Visit online travel sites for more recommendations. At avis.com/enjoytheride you’ll find Quick City Guides with many articles on both unique and iconic attractions all over the world.
Most of the fun in traveling alone is found in the details. Think about ways to make traveling less of a burden and more enjoyable. And consider ways you could enhance the things you already love to do. You might really enjoy traveling alone. When the only person to please is yourself-you could end up with a much more pleasant trip.
For more travel tips and discounts, click here.
Copyright© 2014 RISMedia, The Leader in Real Estate Information Systems and Real Estate News. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be republished without permission from RISMedia.
Content on this website is copyrighted and may not be redistributed without express written permission from RISMedia. Access to RISMedia archives and thousands of articles like this, as well as consumer real estate videos, are available through RISMedia's REsource Licensed Content Solutions. Offering the industry’s most comprehensive and affordable content packages. Click here to learn more! http://resource.rismedia.com