As a boy growing up in a construction family, I never really understood the reason why. â€śThatâ€™s just the way things are,â€ť my father explained one day. â€śItâ€™s like oil and water, builders and real estate brokers just donâ€™t mix.â€ť
A few years later, on our way home from work one day, I decided to rile him up a little. â€śYou arenâ€™t going to believe it, but I heard about a builder thatâ€™s actually married to a real estate agent!â€ť
You should have seen his reaction to this anomaly. â€śWhat are they crazy?â€ť he asked. â€śYou know I donâ€™t support mixed marriages â€¦ Can you imagine the children that could come from a marriage like that?â€ť
While my fatherâ€™s attitude may seem extreme, most of us would agree that many builders donâ€™t fully appreciate the value of broker participation in new home sales. Sadly, quite a few builders have had negative experiences that bring some level of justification to this position. Some of those negative experiences in my own career as a builder became the catalyst that inspired me to dedicate the last 10 years of my life to helping the real estate brokers and associates work successfully in new home sales.
The good news, however, is that builder-broker relations have come a long way. Builders are learning that the real estate industry is made up of many dedicated professionals with a great deal of value to bring to the business. Many home builders can actually be described as â€śaggressiveâ€ť in their pursuit of broker participation. More builders than ever before have established marketing services relationships with a broker, while many others are receptive to the idea.
The great news is that weâ€™ve barely scratched the surface of the opportunities available to us in new home sales. Smaller builders everywhere are struggling to compete with larger builders who, through technology and smarter marketing, are eating a bigger piece of the new home market pie every year. With the right training, systems and market awareness, we can structure the right relationships with the right builders and realize incredible sales success.
Everyday, our Certified New Home Specialistsâ„˘ are demonstrating this. One office in Atlanta, headed by manager Nancy Carll, CNHS, sold over $320 million last year alone. Of the 1100 homes they sold, over 70% were new homes, and most of the other 30% came about as a result of the new home marketing. Sales associate Ruth LeBlanc Jones, CNHS, has been the Connecticut Home Builders Association REALTOR of the year two years in a row. Her 1998 sales volume approached $75 million, almost all of it in new homes. Mitch Weigal, CNHS, a real estate associate less than a year, recently listed a 702 lot subdivision. â€śI think Iâ€™m in pretty good shape as far as listing inventory for a while,â€ť he told me excitedly after landing the deal.
Whatâ€™s even more exciting is the fact that while an abundance of opportunities can be found in representing builders, an even greater opportunity lies in representing new home buyers. This is an area that has been almost entirely overlooked by our industry, yet, in a world where buyer agency is now well-established, itâ€™s time has come. A two-year study my company conducted found that the majority of home buyers today want to at least consider the purchase of a new home. Further, most of these buyers would prefer to have a knowledgeable, qualified real estate professional help them in their search. And, as we work with these buyers, we find that many listing and resale opportunities come about as a result.
Capitalizing on this opportunity, Randall Beaver, CNHS, a broker in Fort Myers, FL, has set up a kiosk in the Edison Square Mall dedicated to providing new home information to buyers. His team of Certified New Home Specialistsâ„˘ works exclusively as buyer agents, collecting co-broke commissions from cooperative builders. Broker Mario Polo, CNHS, and his wife Maria have recently opened a â€śnew home storeâ€ť they call Mall Houseâ„˘ in a brand new mall in Tampa, FL with this same focus. We are working everyday with more brokers and associates looking to stake a claim in this lucrative area.
I was surprised when my father called a few months ago interested in buying a new home. â€śCan you recommend a good real estate agent who knows about new homes in our area?â€ť he asked. â€śNow that Iâ€™m retired, I donâ€™t know whatâ€™s out there and I need someone to help us sell the old house.â€ť
Maybe weâ€™re not trying to mix oil and water after all.
Based in Newport Beach, CA, Dennis Walsh & Associates, Inc. is recognized as real estateâ€™s #1 source for training and sales tools specific to new home sales and residential construction. More than 150,000 have enjoyed Dennisâ€™ presentations including his Certified New Home Specialistâ„˘ (CNHS), Residential Construction Certifiedâ„˘ (RCC) & 203K Specialist courses. For more information, visit www.sellnewhomes.com or call 800.428.1122.