RISMEDIA, May 29, 2008-RE/MAX Long Drive fans can stock up on the popcorn, pretzels and cold beverages for a solid seven hours of power golf on ESPN on Sunday, July 6. ESPN Classic will broadcast an unprecedented marathon of recent RE/MAX World Long Drive Championship finals, adding plenty of fireworks to the July 4th weekend.
The marathon will feature finals action from the past five years, giving fans the chance to relive some of the most surprising and exciting head to head competition in what’s been called one of the most prestigious tournaments in sports. Air times are 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time.
Vintage footage in the adrenaline-drenched marathon will include:
– A 60-minute telecast of the 2003 RE/MAX finals, dominated by a trio of Long Drive rookies: Clayton Burger, Eric Jones and Nancy Abiecunas;
– A 90-minute telecast of the 2004 RE/MAX finals, where Long Drive legend Bobby Wilson ended a quarter-century quest for a world title;
– A 90-minute telecast of the 2005 RE/MAX finals, where Sean “The Beast” Fister secured his third world title;
– A 90-minute telecast of the 2006 RE/MAX finals, where Jason Zuback captured his record fifth open division championship;
– A 90-minute telecast of the 2007 RE/MAX finals, arguably the greatest display of power golf ever witnessed at a Long Drivers of America (LDA)-sanctioned event.
According to the company, The RE/MAX Long Drive Championship is the culmination of dozens of local tournaments held across the country, where golfers compete to qualify for the Championship in Mesquite, Nevada each year. For the first time in 2007, the Long Drive Championship included a Military Long Drive competition; open to active duty, reserve and retired members of the military.
For more information, visit www.remax.com.