RISMEDIA, April 18, 2009-A few simple steps are all it takes to conserve energy and help protect the environment, and with today’s broadband and wireless technologies, being green has never been easier.
As the observance of Earth Day – on April 22 – approaches, Verizon offers 9 tips for using technology to help you live a greener lifestyle:
1. Telecommute one day a week or once a month. Working from home using broadband connections can help reduce traffic congestion and reduce your fuel bill.
2. Recycle cell phones that are no longer used. Donating old phones to recycling programs will keep batteries out of landfills and help raise funds to assist domestic violence survivors.
3. Switch to paperless billing. Verizon residential customers helped save the equivalent of 52,000 trees last year by making the switch.
4. Have a virtual meeting. Use video conferencing instead of travel.
5. Shop online using a high-speed Internet connection instead of making a trip to the mall for a single item.
6. Watch a movie at home instead of driving to rent a movie or even to the theater.
7. Use a smart thermostat to reduce energy costs.
8. Use a mapping tool to find the most direct route to your destination to help save on fuel.
9. Use a smart power strip for your computer or wireless phone charger. Sensors in the strip turn off the power supply when the items are not in use, saving electricity and money.
For more information, visit www.verizon.com.