RISMEDIA, May 21, 2009-Every Memorial Day, thousands of families hit the road for a getaway, and many opt to bring their four-legged friends. For those traveling with pets, additional preparation can make the difference between a stress-free holiday and a trip filled with anxiety for you and your pet.
Here are 10 tips to take the stress out of your Memorial Day getaway:
1. Take updated vaccinations/medical records with you on the trip.
2. Carry a copy of your veterinarian’s business card or phone number.
3. Pack any medications (including heartworm prevention) that your pet will need while you are away.
4. Make sure your pet’s collar has updated I.D. information.
5. Have a leash and harness easily accessible.
6. Pack containers of water for rest stops and plan to stop at least every two hours.
7. Have an adequate supply of pet food in a watertight container.
8. Never leave your pet in the car. Plan stops at pet friendly locations.
9. Look for pet friendly hotels and call ahead to make reservations.
10. If you are traveling with a cat, bring a litter box and supply of litter.
For more information, visit www.purinacare.com.