RISMEDIA, May 28, 2010—According to a February 2010 report by Conde Nast Traveler, 72% of affluent travelers are interested in customized trips where they can learn the culture and history of a destination. The same report states that in the past year, there has been a spike in educational experiences and adventure as a motivation for travel. Conde Nast Traveler describes that adventure travel is no longer solely about risky extreme sports, but about culture, learning and experiencing life. As families plan their annual summer vacations, HotelsCombined.com names the Top 10 Adventure Learning Getaways guaranteed to entertain the entire family.
1. Epcot- Orlando, Florida – The Epcot theme park at Walt Disney World Resort is consistently ranked a top family destination and is the perfect spot to dance along to authentic Bavarian music, discover ancient Chinese sculptures or enjoy a French film at the Palais de Cinema, all while never leaving the park. Stay at: Walt Disney World Swan Resort.
2. Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History – Washington, D.C. – Families will love all the fun and informative programs available at this one-of-a-kind natural history museum, including discovery stations located throughout the galleries, interactive forensic lab and a hands-on insect zoo. Stay at: The George Hotel.
3. Brookfield Zoo – Chicago, Illinois – Open every day of the year, Chicago’s renowned zoological park fosters children’s natural curiosity with the Hamill Family Play Zoo, which allows children to touch live animals, search for bugs and build animal homes. Stay at: The Carleton of Oak Park.
4. OCSC Sailing School – San Francisco Bay Area, California – Ideal for families with older children, the OCSC School offers a two-hour skippered “Introduction to Sailing” course that sets sail from the Berkeley Marina into the beautiful San Francisco Bay with the Golden Gate Bridge in the background. Stay at: Woodfin Suites Hotel.
5. Museum of Modern Art – New York City, New York – The MoMA offers daily family-orientated programs for young children and teens such as gallery conversations, art workshops and temporary exhibitions. Stay at: The Shoreham Hotel.
6. Colonial Williamsburg – Williamsburg, Virginia – Families can “be present in the past” and learn about 18th century America with scores of original buildings, costumed historical interpreters, practicing blacksmiths and the famous Fifes and Drums military musicians. Stay at: Providence Hall Guesthouses.
7. California Science Center – Los Angeles, California – A fantastic place that teaches kids to enjoy science, the center’s permanent galleries provide hands-on experiences that teach children about human inventions and innovations, the cycle of life and the Earth’s ecosystem. Stay at: The Westin Bonaventure Hotel.
8. Kitty Hawk Kayak and Surf School – Outer Banks, North Carolina – Both kids and parents will earn serious bragging rights after attending this bodacious surf academy where families learn from National Surf School and Instructor Association licensed instructors at the world-renowned surf breaks of the Outer Banks. Stay at: Cambridge Cove.
9. Georgia Aquarium – Atlanta, Georgia – With more than eight million gallons of fresh and marine water, the Georgia Aquarium is the world’s largest and allows families to discover international marine life, including Australian weedy sea dragons, Japanese spider crabs and African penguins. Stay at: The Ellis Hotel.
10. NASA Space Center – Houston, Texas – The Official Visitors Center of NASA’s Johnson Space Center provides children with “intelligent fun” as they learn about Mission Control, handle real Moon rocks and experience the sensation of weightlessness at the Neutral Buoyancy Lab. Stay at: Hilton Garden Inn.
For more information, visit www.hotelscombined.com.