RISMEDIA, April 1, 2011—A springtime visit to a slightly less traveled to European destination can be a travelers’ best trip strategy. The team at Viator.com—the leading resource for researching and booking nearly 6,000 trip activities and experiences at the best prices—recommends considering destinations like Amsterdam, Barcelona and Istanbul for spring getaways and Easter breaks with smaller crowds, favorable weather and unique cultural experiences around every corner.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Amsterdam boasts an intriguing blend of old and new with the ease of one of the world’s best hangouts and the exuberance of a big city. However, this time of year what the region is best known for are its tulips and other beautiful flowers. In addition to the millions of flowers, travelers visiting Amsterdam should experience the canals, windmills and art that make this smaller European city a hugely appealing destination.
• The Keukenhof Gardens and Tulip Fields Tour from Amsterdam brings travelers to one of Holland’s top attractions to see millions of tulips, daffodils and hyacinths in full bloom. VIATOR FLASH SALE – March 29 thru 31 – receive 50% off for visits in April 2011.
• The Keukenhof Gardens Day Trip, Amsterdam Canal Ride and Van Gogh Museum combines three must-see attractions and during April, the museum will showcase a flower mosaic of Van Gogh’s self portrait with felt hat called “Bloom.”
• The Skip the Line: Amsterdam and Holland Pass includes free entry to over 40 attractions, 100 special offers in shops and restaurants, and skip the line access to Van Gogh Museum and other sites.
• The Zaanse Schans Windmills, Marken and Volendam Half-Day Trip from Amsterdam travels through the Dutch countryside with visits to fishing villages, clog-makers and a Dutch cheese farm.
• A bike-friendly city, the Amsterdam Countryside Bike Tour takes travelers through a nature reserve, through picturesque old villages, and past countless brooks and waterways.
Visiting Barcelona in spring is ideal, as beating the rush of summer crowds allows for more relaxed exploration. This Spanish hot-spot delights visitors with their local food, fashion, style, architecture and music. Here are some of Viator’s favorites for discovering this beautiful coastal city and surrounding region:
• The Barcelona Scooter Tour gives travelers access to every corner of the city to explore the jewels of Catalonia’s art nouveau and modernism movements, Montjuic Park and the waterfront.
• The Montserrat and Cava Trail Small Group Day Trip from Barcelona combines mountains, history and wine-tasting on a visit to Montserrat and Freixenet
• The Sitges and Freixenet’s Cava Wine Cellars Day Trip from Barcelona combines wine-making secrets with an underground train ride through the cava cellars with a stop at the coastal village of Stiges, home to 17 beaches.
• For panoramic views of the Pyrenees, Mediterranean, Montserrat, there’s not a more exhilarating adventure than the Hot Air Balloon Flight over Catalonia with sumptuous champagne brunch.
• The Salvador Dali Museum, Figueres and Cadaques Small Group Day Trip from Barcelona is one of the most complete Dali tours including his home in Port Lligat and Cap de Creus.
• Hiking in St Miquel del Fai includes visits St. Miquel’s 10th-century chapel, the St. Miquel del Fai waterfalls and Tosques caves with amazing stalactite and stalagmite formations.
Visitors to Istanbul, Turkey’s largest city and its cultural heart, can walk through streets where crusaders once marched on their way to hunt for bargains in the famous Grand Bazaar. One of the world’s truly romantic cities and the former capital of the Roman and Ottoman Empires, Istanbul has a bustling culture, active nightlife and diverse architectural landscape.
• For a perfect introduction to the fabled city, travelers should check out the Istanbul in One Day Sightseeing Tour: Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Grand Bazaar.
• For a more personalized experience, the Private Tour: Istanbul in One Day Sightseeing Tour including Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia and Topkapi Palace offers many of the city’s most important attractions in addition to added customization.
• Start the day with a visit to the 17th century Spice Bazaar during the Bosphorus Cruise and Istanbul’s Egyptian Bazaar experience.
• The two Day Troy and Gallipoli Tour from Istanbul takes a step back in time with visits to Gallipoli, Anzac Cove, Lone Pine Cemetery and other famous memorials from World War One.
For more information visit www.viator.com.