Add Value to Your Team – Corcoran quoted Albert Einstein, who once said, “Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.” This goes hand in hand with maintaining your culture. As a business owner, you need to add value to people through respect, communication, feedback and development. Give them the proper tools, technology and leadership skills. Corcoran notes that real estate agents tend to talk too much, and he suggests that leaders need to truly listen to build an effective team.
Develop Mission and Vision Statements and Live by Them Daily
For a mission statement, come up with something very simple that answers the questions of who you are, why you are here, what is your business, what is your purpose and why are you in business.
Corcoran notes that Martin Luther King, Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech is the best vision statement he’s ever heard, as it lays out the foundation and still resonates today. The vision statement should answer the following questions:
- What am I going to do?
- Who am I going to be?
- With whom do I want to have influence?
- Where do I see myself in 3 yrs? 10 yrs?
- How do I want my community/audience to view me?
- Where is my focus?
- What is my ultimate scenario?
- What should I feel empowered to do?
Corcoran recommends that both the mission and vision statements be reviewed daily and plastered around the office so that you’re living them out daily.
Identify Your Core Values
According to Corcoran, to ensure that your company’s culture endures, you’ll need to identify your core values as they are a guide for all future decisions, relations and policies. He highlights his own company’s core values as outlined below.
Corcoran Consulting and Coaching’s Core Values
- We are responsible for our choices. Hold yourself accountable for the decisions you make.
- We seek wisdom. Continue your education including advice from your mentors or coaches, webinars, audio books, conferences and more.
- We are a company (or person) of action.
- We have a decided heart. Know what you want and know how you’re going to get there.
- We choose to be happy.
- We learn to forgive. Let go of grudges and negativity.
- We persist without exception.
Watch Corcoran live at the REALTOR®’S Conference Expo 2014 in New Orleans at the Homes.com booth on Saturday November 8 and view a recording of the webinar, “Build a Better Team, Overcoming the 5 Inevitable Dysfunctions.”
For more free real estate education and best practices, register here for the next Secrets of Top Selling Agents webinar featuring Jay Baer and Erica Campbell Byrum, “Grow Your Real Estate Business with Help, Not Hype,” on Wednesday, October 29 at 1 p.m. Eastern.