I don’t know about you, but vanity doesn’t have a very good connotation to me. Here are some synonyms I found while I writing this: narcissism, self-importance, arrogance, conceit, and egotism. Do you agree?
Here is why I ask: I’ve been in real estate for a long time on a variety of levels. I’ve been selling technology to brokerages and developers for quite a long time. Every time I hear the term “vanity site” or “single property website,” I talk to people about why they spend the money on these things. I hear comments like “it keeps the seller happy,” and “my agent feels it helps them get listings.” But do vanity websites actually work?
It’s just like advertising listings in a newspaper; good to show the seller but does not produce trackable and measurable results.
I realize it’s tough to change that mindset but give some thought to the way marketing is done in the 21st century:
- Websites need to be interactive not static. Landing pages don’t cut it;
- Consumers expect an amazing experience that includes mobile-friendly, responsive design;
- Serious marketers know their audience, who they are, what they are doing, and how engaged they are so they can tailor a specific message to them; and
- Many buyers are coming from outside the U.S. so that has to be a consideration especially if you are in an international market.
- I’m going to provide a site that allows agents worldwide to view your listing and communicate directly with us;
- We’re going to track which agents, in which parts of the U.S. or the world, are looking at your property and who they are showing it to;
- I’m going to give you a report every month that will detail all of this.
Imagine if you could sit down with a seller and, instead of telling them about this vanity site you are going to give them, you could say the following:
This is not vanity; this is efficiency, productivity, and increased sales velocity. This has a better connotation to me. What do you think?
Jose Perez is the president and founder of PCMS Consulting. For more information, visit www.pcmsconsulting.com.