One hundred years ago, the term āREALTORĀ®ā was adopted by the National Association of REALTORSĀ® (NAR) to identify members of a group of individuals deeply committed to integrity, community, and protecting the American Dream of property ownership.
This was a revolutionary perspective in 1916. The real estate landscape a century ago was vastly different: chaotic, unregulated, and without even the most basic consumer protections. āBuyer bewareā was the law of the land. Fortunately, REALTORSĀ® stepped up and changed an entire industry.
Still Making a Difference
This year, the centennial of the REALTORĀ® mark is an incredible opportunity to reinforce the value of NAR membership, which celebrates youāthe REALTORĀ®āand the essential role you play. REALTORSĀ® hold the power in protecting the American Dream, advocating for property ownership and vibrant communities.
To help celebrate our members and all that they do, NAR has developed a website for REALTORSĀ® to submit pictures and stories highlighting the good work theyāre doing as a REALTORĀ® all across the country. Youāll find many membersā stories at 100years.REALTOR, an online project that showcases who REALTORSĀ® are and what theyāre made of. How do you support your community? Share your story. Take a picture of a charitable endeavor youāre proud of and tell us about it at 100years.REALTOR/add-your-story.
Encourage Consumers to āGet REALTORĀ®ā
Ironically, in todayās world, there are more ways to reach consumers, and yet itās harder to reach them. With an affinity for technology, most consumers begin their real estate search online, which can create a false sense of self-sufficiency and confidence. Many consumers may not appreciate or understand what a REALTORĀ® can do for them.
In conjunction with the centennial celebration, NARās latest consumer advertising campaign focuses on clearly defining the value of the REALTORĀ® brand among hyper-connected consumers, and particularly among up-and-coming generations of homebuyers, sellers, owners and investors. We want todayās consumers to understand that NARās members:
- Provide a competitive advantage
- Understand and have insights into local markets
- See what canāt be uncovered in a simple online search
- Are consumer advocates
- Form connective tissues in a community
In short, we are urging consumers to Get REALTORĀ®. Watch for Get REALTORĀ® messaging across social, digital, radio and TV, beginning in late January and early February.
Add Your Voice
With your help, we can spread the Get REALTORĀ® message even further. There are several ways to add your voice:
- Follow HouseLogic on Facebook to access images, infographics and videos created for consumers. Use these materials in your own consumer outreach.
- Add the Real Estate Today radio show through your website. Go to the āFor REALTORSĀ®ā section of retradio.com to download the widget to offer buyers and sellers critical and credible information on the real estate market.
- Talk to your clients, because in the end, the one-on-one relationship between you as REALTORSĀ® and the clients and customers you work with has the most impact on how consumers perceive the REALTORĀ® brand.
Time and technologies may have changed the industry over the past 100 years, but our membersā strong ideals havenāt. Join us in celebrating our history, our future, and our REALTORSĀ®.