The truth is that, in every situation, you either succeed or you learn—there is no failure. Every opportunity we have has the chance to move us a step closer to our goals and commitments. Sometimes that’s by way of a favorable action (you got the appointment, passed a test, made a new connection) and sometimes that’s by way of a lesson (not being present, forgetting something, saying the wrong thing). Either way, you win!
As you begin this real estate journey, embrace the mistakes that are bound to happen. Don’t let them define you or send you into a tailspin. They will be some of your most important teachers.
Here are five tips for ensuring that your breakdowns become breakthroughs:
- Mindset matters. When you reframe mistakes as opportunities to learn, you shorten your learning curve, and amplify your ability to recover and problem solve.
- Own them. The folks that get caught up in pointing fingers and placing blame lose the ability to see themselves in the frame, and in doing so, rob themselves of the opportunity for growth.
- Analyze them. Not in that deep-dive, over-thinking, play-by-play way—but in a constructive and perspective-filled way. Early in your career, consider asking a coach, your broker, or a trusted mentor to help you break down what went sideways so you can figure out what to do differently in the future.
- Put change in place. Love the Maya Angelou quote, “When you know better, do better.” Take that “what to do differently” analysis and put it into practice.
- Keep tabs on how far you’ve come. The world is full of critics. Don’t add your voice to that mix. Every day, consider what you did, said or learned that can move the needed on your commitment to where you want to be and keep tabs on it. Write it down. Don’t wait for the big “wins” to give yourself credit. Do that every step of the way.
Some of my biggest personal breakthroughs have come from some of my most profound missteps. I would not be the speaker, coach or the person I am today without them. I hope you’ll learn to embrace your own with the same perspective.
I’m here if you need help.
Darryl Davis, bestselling author of “How to Become a Power Agent in Real Estate” and owner of Darryl Davis Seminars, has trained and coached over 100,000 real estate professionals around the globe for more than 27 years. He is the founder of the Next Level® real estate training system, The Power Program®, which has helped agents double their production over their previous year. For more information, and the new agent tools that can help take you to your Next Level®, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.ThePowerProgram.com/NewAgentSuccess