Holidays are the time for relaxing at home with family. But with boosted activity in the home, an onslaught of guests, fire in the fireplace and something cooking on the stove, the chances of a home fire are seriously increased. To stay safe, consider the following.
From roaring fireplaces to mood-boosting candles, the holidays are often a time for striking a match. However, this means the risk of fire during the holiday season is boosted. To stay safe, never leave a fire going in a room you’re no longer inhabiting, clear any debris from around fire and candles, and always have a professional check out your chimney before you use it for the season.
Always inspect all wires and plugs on all of your electrical decorations, especially those that have been used for years. It’s also smart to the safety labels check on any decorations to make sure they have been tested and are safety approved.
Unattended cooking appliances are the leading cause of home cooking fires, according to the NFPA. Never leave something cooking on the stove if you’re out of the room, or in the oven if you leave the house.
Turn off before you turn in.
Be sure to turn off any and all decorations and snub out fires and candles before heading to bed for the evening. According to the NFPA, half of deaths from home fires occur between 11 pm and 7 am – a statistic scary enough to make you unplug those holiday lights before hitting the hay.
Keep your tree watered.
If you celebrate with a holiday tree, be sure to keep it well watered, as dry trees are a huge home fire hazard. Test your tree’s water level or soil each evening before heading to bed to make sure it is moist.