The electrical system in your house can wear out over time, especially if you have an older home and use a lot of appliances and electronic devices at once. These are some signs that you may need to speak to an electrician about upgrading your electrical system.
Electricity enters the house at one location and travels to a circuit breaker panel that distributes it to other parts of the house. An old panel may not have enough circuits to meet your family’s needs, or one or more individual circuits may not be able to handle several appliances and devices being used in a room at one time. If the circuit breaker panel is overburdened, heat can build up, which can damage the insulation and wiring and start a fire.
When an individual circuit breaker can’t handle the demands being placed on it, it can trip and shut off the electricity. If that happens occasionally, it means the system is functioning as it should. If a circuit breaker trips often when you use multiple appliances in one room, that means the circuit is overburdened. It may need to be replaced with a circuit breaker that has a higher capacity and the wiring may also need to be upgraded.
If lights dim or flicker in one room when you use multiple appliances, that may mean that the wiring can’t handle the demands being placed on it. If lights seem to flicker at random times, there may be a problem with one light or a widespread issue. The electrical system may need to be rewired to increase its capacity.
Hot Light Switches
If light switches feel hot when you touch them, that may indicate that the electrical system is overloaded. Normally, electricity flowing through a light switch generates a small amount of heat. A damaged switch may draw more electricity than it can handle, which can produce excess heat, wear out electrical components and create a fire hazard.
Other Signs of an Electrical Problem
Damaged wiring and corrosion can cause appliances and electronics to use more electricity than they should. If your electric bills seem unreasonably high, that may be a sign that your home’s electrical system needs an upgrade.
If you find yourself replacing light bulbs more often than you should, it may indicate that damaged wiring causes too much electricity to reach the bulbs. That can cause them to wear out faster than they should.
Discoloration or burn marks on or around outlets can indicate that a circuit is carrying more current than it is designed to, which is causing high temperatures. This can lead to a fire if the problem isn’t addressed.
Get Professional Help With Repairs
Electrical repairs are often complex and a problem may not be as simple and straightforward as you think it is. If you don’t have the training and experience necessary to diagnose and fix an electrical problem yourself, hire a professional electrician.