Bringing houseplants into your home can create a healthy and nature-filled design to your space. For a home with pets, however, there are some limits as to which plants may be harmful to their health. Because pets often find their way into many things around the house, it’s important to be aware of just what the effects may be when certain greens are ingested. Here are five common houseplants that are toxic to pets.
As one of the most popular succulents you’ll find in a home, Aloe Vera is great for humans because of its skin healing properties. However, it has an opposite effect on pets. Although the gel substance inside the leaves may not be toxic if ingested, the other parts of this plant can do harm to your pet’s digestive system.
Unlike poison ivy, regular ivy can add a unique and decorative design to any room in your home. However, when introduced into a home with pets, keep it out of their reach as when this plant is ingested, your pet may develop a rash and/or breathing problems. Depending on how much is eaten, it may even lead to a coma or paralysis.
This plant, though very common in interior design, can be one of the most dangerous for a family with pets. Because of the harmful toxins in and on this plant, eating and digesting this plant will result in tongue swelling and burning, increased salivation and difficulty swallowing, as well as vomiting. In some cases, the ingestion of this plant may even cause death to your pet.
This particular plant can come in many sizes. From a medium-sized tree to small windowsill plant, this is a popular plant for succulent lovers. However, it is important to keep your jade plant away from your pets. Though the toxins in this plant are unknown, ingestion may result in vomiting and incoordination. Additional symptoms your pets may experience are a slow heart rate and/or depression.
Similar to the toxins found in dumb cane, this colorful houseplant can be extremely dangerous to your pets. The side effects of ingestion are almost the same, causing your pet to suffer from oral problems such as increased drooling and salivation. Vomiting, digestive issues and even death are also possible reactions your pet may experience.