By Maya Bailey, Ph.D.
RISMEDIA, August 11, 2008-More and more small business owners and success-minded professionals are beginning to discover what most successful real estate agents have known all along. They are beginning to discover the “secret” to success.
What do successful real estate agents know that others don’t? After interviewing some of the top producers in the real estate field, one thing stood out over and over and over. The “secret” to their success was their mindset and they were happy to talk about it.
How can the Law of Attraction change your mindset?
1: The Law of Attraction tells us to dwell in the state of “gratitude”
According to several well-known authors, “gratitude opens the way for more good to come into your life.” Secondly, have you noticed how an attitude of gratitude puts you in a good mood? Gratitude shifts your thinking from problems to what you feel good about, and that brightens your mood. Have you noticed how people are more attracted to you when you are in a better mood?
- When you get up in the morning focus on what you have and what you are grateful for. It could be that you are healthy enough to get up and do your work. As you go throughout your day keep thinking about what you’re grateful for. Watch how more and more people are attracted to you.
- Another tip that was mentioned in “the secret” was the process of “visualizing.”
2. Did you know that athletes mentally visualize their performance?
The theory is that when you visualize, you materialize. Be sure to make the visualization so real that you can feel what it feels like to have what you want.
- Before you go into a listing appointment, take a few minutes to visualize yourself with a positive outcome you want. Visualize the owners looking at you and smiling at you as they sign their name to the contract. Feel what you feel in your heart, knowing that they trust and appreciate you. Talk about maximizing your success…
3. Know what you don’t want
Why is it important to know what you don’t want? We get what we are focused on. Focus on the lack of something, and that’s what we are guaranteed to get.
When you make a list of what you don’t want in terms of clients, you are using that list to clarify what you do want.
How else are you going to know what you want unless you’ve experienced what you don’t want?
- Make a list of what you don’t want in terms of clients. For example, you don’t want undecided, unmotivated and uncommitted clients, so scratch out all those qualities on a piece of paper. Flip to the opposite, using your “don’t want” list to discover what you do want. The trick is to observe your “don’t want” list very briefly and then discard it.
4: Get clear on what you do want
Here’s where we get to the bottom line of the Law of Attraction. The Law of Attraction tells us to only focus on what we want. Some people need help to break the “want” barrier. These people have been conditioned with self-limiting beliefs like “it’s selfish to want,” or “it’s not okay to ask.”
However, according to the Law of Attraction, “wanting is the necessity of life.” In the book, “Excuse Me, Your Life is Waiting,” the author Lyn Grabhorn asks, “what are your smallest, your biggest, your oldest, your newest, and your most deeply hidden desires… the ones that are so impossible that you never have so much as whispered them out loud to anyone? We came to learn how to create our desires, fulfill our dreams, and prosper.”
- Keep your focus on what you want. If you are feeling anything less than wonderful, your mind has probably drifted to focusing on what you don’t want. When that happens, ask yourself, “so what do I want?”
5: Get into that feeling state of having what you want
In other words, visualize yourself having what you want-an abundance of happy, appreciative, ideal clients, for example. Now instead of feeling bad that you don’t have those clients yet, act as if you do. Put yourself in the situation where you visualize your ideal clients calling you, your transactions increasing, your bank account going up, and having more time to spend with your family.
The key to having what ever you want is finding a way to feel good about your want, even before it arrives. Use whatever device you want. Feel free to pretend, “act as if,” and imagine. Remember, Einstein once said that, “imagination is more important than knowledge.”
Let your imagining be from your heart, not just from your head. What does it feel like? Deep down in your heart and in your body to have happy, appreciative clients calling you and want to do business with you?
Do you feel cooler or warmer, do you feel calmer or more excited, and do you feel lighter or heavier? Once you get the hang of it, it will be easy for you to identify the feelings of “having what you want.”
- Take a few minutes every day to relax and visualize yourself having your desires fulfilled. As an added bonus, speak into a recording device and tape yourself, giving yourself a visualization. That way, when you’re done, you can’t sit back and listen to it over and over and over, creating a positive energy vortex.
6: Clear your opposing beliefs
As I have been coaching real estate agents for the last 10 years in doubling and tripling their incomes, what I have found is that the Law of Attraction works great when there are no opposing beliefs. It doesn’t work at all when opposing beliefs are still in place.
For example, you may have all the talent and skills that you need to be a top producing real estate agent, but you could be stuck in a nonproductive mode because of self-limiting beliefs.
Here are some examples of self-limiting beliefs that I run into all the time:
- “It’s not okay to be pushy.”
- “If I call someone, that means I’m bothering them.”
- “It’s not okay to compete.”
- “Other people’s needs are more important than my own.”
Imagine trying to be successful while any of these beliefs may be operating at a subconscious level. How do you know whether you have subconscious self limiting beliefs? One surefire way to know is to practice the law of attraction and see whether you get results. No results = the presence of self-limiting beliefs (probably on a subconscious level).
These self-limiting beliefs are also called “our blind spots.” Why do you think Tiger Woods always has a coach? Because he can’t see his blind spots, and neither can we.
- After you have visualized yourself having what you want, and taken time to feel what it feels like, ask yourself what voices in you have any resistance to you having what you want. Usually you’ll hear some voices inside that have concerns. They may be afraid, for example, that if you’re successful, then you won’t have any time for your family. That would indicate a self limiting belief, something like, “in order to succeed, I need to work hard, struggle and stress myself out.
Here’s the good news: you are not stuck with your self-limiting beliefs. As soon as you recognize that you’ve got them, you can change them. For example, the one above could be changed to, “I create success using the Law of Attraction, which allows me to attract my ideal clients easily and effortlessly.”
7: Take inspired action and allow it to come to you
What does this mean? Here’s the difference between inspired action and frantic action-frantic action is fear-based, and just like it sounds, it is frantic and reactive. Usually you’re banging against the problem, and the problem gets worse, which of course makes you more fearful and then you begin attracting what you don’t want instead of attracting what you do want. This is a common tendency if you just had a transaction fall through.
However, inspired action, means action that is guided by your intuition, your heart and your gut feelings. You are more likely to get ideas for inspired action when you are feeling good, that’s why it’s important to dwell in gratitude. Next, it’s important for you to follow your hunches. Trust your hunches, and don’t worry about the “how.” According to the Law of Attraction, the “how’s” are the domain of the universe.
Once you start following your inspired action, it’s important to allow yourself to receive what you have asked for. Notice I said the word “allow.” To allow, you need to suspend your doubt. Choose “faith” over “fear.” Fear is often disguised as doubt and skepticism.
- Practice finding ways to feed your “faith.” Self honoring statements, like “if they can do it, I can too” are helpful. Take the self limiting beliefs that you noticed and turn them into empowering beliefs like:
o “I can be assertive, without being pushy”
o “I have a pleasant approach and people are happy to hear from me”
o “I can be co-operative, rather than competitive”
o “My needs are as important as anyone else’s”
In summary, practicing the Law of Attraction is the fastest, easiest, way to capture a positive mindset. You will be following the top producers before you, who automatically practiced this way of thinking. All you need to do is follow in their footsteps.
Take your focus away from what the media is saying, stop focusing on what you don’t want, start focusing on what you do want and take a good look at the possibilities that are available to you now in this market.
Dr. Maya Bailey, author of “Law of Attraction for Real Estate Professionals,” integrates 20 years of experience as a psychologist and 12 years as a business coach with her expertise in the Law of Attraction. Her powerful work creates a success formula for real estate professionals ready to double and triple their incomes. Get Dr. Maya’s free report, 7 Simple Strategies For More Clients in 90 Days, by visiting www.90DaystoMoreClients.com
Copyright© 2013 RISMedia, The Leader in Real Estate Information Systems and Real Estate News. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be republished without permission from RISMedia.
Content on this website is copyrighted and may not be redistributed without express written permission from RISMedia. Access to RISMedia archives and thousands of articles like this, as well as consumer real estate videos, are available through RISMedia's REsource Licensed Content Solutions. Offering the industry’s most comprehensive and affordable content packages. Click here to learn more! http://resource.rismedia.com