Commentary by Maya Bailey, Ph.D.
RISMEDIA, June 26, 2009-So many real estate professionals today are wondering, “How can I stay positive in today’s market?” Like any discriminating real estate professional, you realize the value of a positive mental attitude. Here are eight ways that you can create and maintain a positive mental attitude in today’s market:
1. Avoid toxic people. What does this mean? Who are the toxic people? Toxic people can be well-meaning people but when they talk to you, they are coming from a negative attitude about money, finances, and especially about the current real estate situation.
They may be fellow real estate professionals who want to gather around the water cooler, they may be relatives who are just trying to protect you; they may even be friends and family.
You will know if you’ve been around a toxic person, because you will begin to feel deflated.
Here’s your job: either change the subject or walk away. Better yet, speak up for yourself and mention that you want to think positively about yourself and about your business.
If you see one of them coming your way find a way to avoid the interaction because it does not serve your highest good (or theirs).
2. Set an internal boundary. If you’ve tried everything and exhausted ways to avoid toxic people, then you may have to set an internal boundary. You can do this very simply by having your own inner conversation if someone is saying something negative to you on the outside.
A great example of an inner conversation when someone is complaining about their business or about the marketplace is to say to yourself, “that may be true for you but it’s not true for me.” This can become your inner mantra.
3. Avoid the media. Why? Remember that the intention of the media is to sell newspapers and magazines. The more they can paint a negative and fearful picture, the more their sales go up. Why subject yourself to negative spins on the economy when you can find just as much information to point to the positive?
4. Successful real estate professionals do well in any market. Were you aware of that? Knowing that fact, none of us can continue to use the excuse about the market being bad. In fact, I am coaching several clients right now who in the last six months have doubled and tripled their incomes. In addition to the right marketing strategies and regular lead generation activities, you could help yourself with this empowered belief:
“I now draw clients to me who are ready, willing and able to make a transaction in the next 30 days.”
5. Look for the opportunity in today’s marketplace. There are many opportunities in today’s market and successful real estate professionals are taking advantage of them.
Did you know that Donald Trump is buying up as much property as he can? Why do you think that is? He is a smart businessman, to say the least, and knows that this is the best time to buy.
Let your prospective clients know this and then say to them, “Let’s get you a deal.” Few could resist this invitation.
6. Remember that your success depends on your mindset, not on the outer conditions of the market. “If you believe you can or you can’t, either way you are right,” Henry Ford.
What mindset do you choose to nurture inside yourself? Do you want to believe, “I can “or “I can’t”. Your beliefs create your reality so whatever you choose to believe will become true for you.
7. Remember to engage the Law of Attraction as one of your most powerful tools. The law of attraction states that you get what you focus your attention on. Furthermore, your beliefs create your reality so choose your beliefs carefully.
Here’s a tip: instead of saying “I can’t possibly succeed in today’s market,” choose instead to focus one of these beliefs:
- “I achieve whatever I set my mind to”
- “I am a money magnet in any situation”
- “I attract clients who appreciate and respect my expertise”
- “My success depends on my attitude, not on any outer circumstances”
8. Be proactive. In any marketplace there are always people wanting to buy and sell homes. They need your help and they need your expertise. Your job is to become visible to them. In today’s market, they are not likely to fall in your lap.
However with a good system of lead generation, you can contact them and use your intention to attract your ideal clients.
Clear out any self-limiting beliefs that stop you from picking up the phone. Follow the suggestions mentioned above and you’ll be happy to notice that are only are you staying more positive, but also your income is increasing as well.
Dr. Maya Bailey, author of Law of Attraction for Real Estate Professionals, integrates 20 years of experience as a psychologist and 12 years as a business coach with her expertise in the Law of Attraction. Get Bailey’s free report, 7 Simple Strategies For More Clients in 90 Days, by visiting www.90DaystoMoreClients.com.
Copyright© 2011 RISMedia, The Leader in Real Estate Information Systems and Real Estate News. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be republished without permission from RISMedia.
Content on this website is copyrighted and may not be redistributed without express written permission from RISMedia. Access to RISMedia archives and thousands of articles like this, as well as consumer real estate videos, are available through RISMedia's REsource Licensed Content Solutions. Offering the industry’s most comprehensive and affordable content packages. Click here to learn more! http://resource.rismedia.com